Seb and I are very different people.
When we were dating he lied and told me he loved to read. And reading is such a huge part of my life that I was happy. That’s a great thing to have in common. Continue reading
After 2 months back in academia, here’s an ongoing list of what I like in research:
- Smart and interesting people to work with and engage in discussions with.
- (Very) flexible daily office hours. Actually, so flexible that I can’t keep a rhythm and sleep at reasonable hours. So I’m looking for tricks. Here’s one I’m trying! It’s an app that matches the color of your computer/phone screen to the color of the sun, so you don’t glare at daylight in the evening.
- Working on intellectually challenging projects.
- A vibrant environment that is the student world.
- Belonging to a community that does great things, but also sometimes silly and fun things. Look at this, last week a team created chickens with dinosaurs feet.
- Cheap and healthy food, good sport facilities right next to the lab. Don’t be dismissive. Google wouldn’t spend so much money on this if it didn’t matter.
- What else? pride, prestige, common misery, the lack of office politics? not dealing with bad bosses?