This post is about two friends hooking up.
But before getting to that part, it’s a confession of how unstable and unbalanced I have become since I started research. Work-life balance now depends pretty much on whether Github loads correctly. The lack of results or any kind of milestones is nerve-wrecking.
I cope by doing sports. Lots and lots of sports. Enough to mess up my hormonal system.
Fun fact: did you know that professional athletes force their body so much that it is constantly in survival mode? It reacts by cutting non-essential functions, such as reproduction functions. Next time when you watch sport, think of these professional athletes as all temporarily sterile. Continue reading
After 2 months back in academia, here’s an ongoing list of what I like in research:
- Smart and interesting people to work with and engage in discussions with.
- (Very) flexible daily office hours. Actually, so flexible that I can’t keep a rhythm and sleep at reasonable hours. So I’m looking for tricks. Here’s one I’m trying! It’s an app that matches the color of your computer/phone screen to the color of the sun, so you don’t glare at daylight in the evening.
- Working on intellectually challenging projects.
- A vibrant environment that is the student world.
- Belonging to a community that does great things, but also sometimes silly and fun things. Look at this, last week a team created chickens with dinosaurs feet.
- Cheap and healthy food, good sport facilities right next to the lab. Don’t be dismissive. Google wouldn’t spend so much money on this if it didn’t matter.
- What else? pride, prestige, common misery, the lack of office politics? not dealing with bad bosses?